Spend a summer having fun with us, and shoot up on your SATs!
400 point Score Improvements
The Socratic Summer Academy was founded in 2010. It's a three-week sleepaway summer camp aimed at improvement on the SATs. Every year, using our carefully tailored curriculum and in-house textbook, in conjunction with College Board prep materials, we get higher and higher score improvements:
- We had 208 point score improvements for students who had studied the SAT somewhere else for 4+ months
Extraordinary, Caring Master Teachers
Our master teachers all have plenty of experience teaching the SAT - they come from Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Amherst, Wesleyan, Haverford, Johns Hopkins - great schools, but what they really bring to the table is their dedication to educating and mentoring. Our primary hiring criteria are being creative and inspirational, inside and outside the classroom.
Our Strategies - What Sets Us Apart
One of our biggest strategies is game-ification - making strategies into games, using games to learn vocabulary, breaking the actual test down into pieces that form the evening's activity. Last year, we eliminated homework (which sounds crazy) but replaced it with proctored work sessions, so kids were "doing classwork" with teachers around to help. Also, since there are 2 master teachers in a classroom and frequently 2 assistants on top of that, one-on-one is really easy. We have over 150 hours of classroom teaching and unlimited one-on-one and small group sessions. And amazingly, it works.
Smores! Campfires Under the Stars! Dodgeball! Scavenger Hunts! Don't Forget the Summer Camp!!
The great thing about it is that it's not just an SAT boot camp - it's also an amazing traditional summer camp experience - dodgeball, singalongs around the campfire, piano, and guitar, capture the flag, volleyball, scavenger hunts, story-based games, hikes in the wilderness. It's fun. The kids get dragged to camp kicking and screaming (eew! who wants to go to an SAT camp!) and then cry when it's time to go home - they don't want to leave.
- Camp begins Sunday, June 29, 2014, and ends Saturday, July 19, 2014.
- Tuition is comprehensive, including room, board, and book fees. No additional spending money is necessary.
- Early registrants (before March 15, 2014) will receive a 5% discount.
- Full tuition is due no later than May 1, 2014. Space permitting, students may register after May 1, in which case they must send full tuition at the time of registration.