Spend a summer having fun with us, and shoot up on your SATs!
The Socratic Summer Academy was founded in 2010. It's a three-week sleepaway summer camp aimed at improvement on the SATs. Every year, using our tailored curriculum and in-house materials, in conjunction with official College Board prep materials, we help students of all different learning styles and starting scores add hundreds of points to their SAT, all while working hard to ensure they have a fantastic summer camp experience.
Extraordinary, Caring Master Teachers
Our master teachers all have plenty of experience teaching the SAT - they come from Harvard, Brown, Stanford, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Amherst, Haverford, Middlebury, UCBerkeley, McGill, Vanderbilt, UVA, Wesleyan - great schools, but what they really bring to the table is their dedication to educating and mentoring. Our primary hiring criteria are being creative and inspirational, inside and outside the classroom.
Our Strategies - What Sets Us Apart
One of our biggest strategies is game-ification - making strategies into games, using games to learn vocabulary, breaking the actual test down into pieces that form the evening's activity. In 2012, we eliminated homework (which sounds crazy) but replaced it with proctored work sessions, so kids were "doing classwork" with teachers around to help. Also, since there are 2 teachers in a classroom, one-on-one is really easy. We have over 150 hours of classroom teaching and unlimited one-on-one and small group sessions. And amazingly, it works.
Smores! Campfires under the stars! Dodgeball! Scavenger hunts! Don't forget the summer camp!!
The great thing about it is that it's not just an SAT boot camp - it's also an amazing traditional summer camp experience - dodgeball, singalongs around the campfire, piano, and guitar, capture the flag, volleyball, scavenger hunts, story-based games, hikes in the wilderness. It's fun. Students often get dragged to camp kicking and screaming but after three weeks of living on an amazing college campus with friends and teachers, they're sad to go home.
- Camp will begin Friday, June 29, 2018, and end Saturday, July 21, 2018. We will be on Colgate University's campus in Hamilton, NY. Overnight camp tuition is $.
- Tuition is comprehensive, including room, board, and book fees. No additional spending money is necessary.
- To hold a child's spot upon registration, parents send a 20% deposit. After April 1, 2018, tuition payment in full will be required with registration, unless another arrangement is made.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- Full tuition is due no later than April 1, 2018. Those students who register after April 1, 2018 must pay tuition in full at the time of registration.
- Please contact us if you'd like to work out a payment plan; we're willing to work with parents to make financial arrangements.
- We can also connect prospective students to others who have attended the camp in previous years; our alumni are happy to answer questions and describe their experiences with the program.
- SSA takes place on the same campus as the Yleana Leadership Academy, and Alyssa Bowlby is heavily involved in both programs. For more information about Yleana – as well as information about any interaction between the two programs – please reach out to Alyssa (347.688.2329) and she’ll be delighted to discuss her work.